Have questions about electrical work in your home?
The licensed and experienced electricians at AMS can provide
you with a range of home electrical services, repairs, and
installations to ensure that your home's electrical system is
safe, functional, and up-to-date. We understand that
electrical issues can be frustrating and potentially
dangerous, which is why we prioritize safety and customer
satisfaction in all of our work. Whether you need a quick
repair or a full-scale installation, we are here to help keep
your home running smoothly and safely. With many of our
customers depending on us over the years to help them with
their home electrical needs, we’ve compiled a list of some of
the most common questions to help put your mind at ease.
Can I perform home electrical repairs myself or should I hire
It's always recommended to hire a licensed and experienced
electrician for home electrical repairs. Electricity is
dangerous, and attempting to perform electrical repairs
without proper knowledge and training can be hazardous to both
your safety and your home's electrical system.
Licensed electricians have the expertise, tools, and training
to diagnose and repair electrical issues safely and
effectively. They can also ensure that your home's electrical
system is up to code and functioning properly.
What are the top signs of electrical problems in my home?
Here are some top signs of electrical problems in your home:
- Flickering or dimming lights
Electrical outlets that are warm to the touch or emit sparks
Circuit breakers that frequently trip or fuses that
Burning smells or buzzing sounds coming from electrical
outlets or appliances
Light switches that do not work properly or make crackling
Outlets that do not work or have stopped working suddenly
- A persistent burning odor from an appliance or wiring
A tingling sensation when touching an electrical device or
Electrical shocks when touching an appliance or light switch
Electrical appliances that run louder than normal or do not
run as efficiently as they used to
It's important to address any of these issues promptly as they
can be signs of a more serious underlying electrical problem
that could pose a safety hazard or cause damage to your home.
Contacting a licensed electrician is recommended for any
electrical issues or concerns.
What are some of the most common home electrical services and
The expert electricians at AMS are experienced in almost all
common residential electrical services, repairs, and
- Electrical panel upgrades
- Circuit breaker replacements
- Electrical wiring repairs and installations
- GFCI and AFCI outlet installations
- Lighting repairs and installations
- Ceiling fan installations
- Smoke detector installations and repairs
- Electrical code compliance corrections
- Surge protection installations
- Electrical safety inspections and evaluations
It's important to note that these are just some of the most common home electrical services and repairs that AMS offers. Each home's electrical system is unique, so it's best to consult one of our licensed electricians for any specific issues or concerns.
Your Experts for All your Home Electrical Projects
Our knowledgeable electricians can help you with any home electrical upgrade or repair — request service with
How often should I have my electrical system inspected?
It is recommended to have your electrical system inspected by a licensed electrician every 3 to 5 years. However, the frequency of inspections can depend on factors such as the age of your home, the frequency of electrical issues, and the number of electrical appliances you have.
It's also a good idea to have your electrical system inspected if you're planning on buying a new home or if you have recently had any major renovations or additions to your home.
Regular electrical inspections can help identify potential hazards, ensure your home's electrical system is up to code, and prevent electrical problems before they become serious. If you notice any signs of electrical problems in your home, such as flickering lights, warm outlets, or tripped breakers, it's recommended to schedule an inspection with a licensed electrician as soon as possible.
How can I make my home's electrical system more energy-efficient?
Here are some tips for making your home's electrical system more energy-efficient:
- Upgrade to LED light bulbs: LED bulbs use up to 80% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs and last longer.
- Install a programmable thermostat: This allows you to control your home's temperature and save energy when you're not at home.
- Unplug electronics when not in use: Many electronics continue to use energy even when they are turned off. Unplugging them when not in use can save energy.
- Use energy-efficient appliances: Look for appliances with the Energy Star label, which indicates that they meet energy efficiency standards.
- Seal air leaks: Air leaks around windows, doors, and other areas of your home can cause energy loss. Sealing these leaks can help save energy.
- Install ceiling fans: Ceiling fans can help circulate air in your home and reduce the need for air conditioning.
- Install solar panels: If your budget allows, installing solar panels can generate clean energy and reduce your electricity bills.
By implementing these energy-saving measures, you can reduce your home's energy consumption and save money on your electricity bills while also being more environmentally friendly.
How much should I expect to pay for electrical repairs or installations?
The cost of electrical repairs or installations can vary depending on several factors, such as the complexity of the job, the size of the project, and the location of the job.
For minor electrical repairs or installations, such as replacing a light switch or installing a ceiling fan, you can expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $300.
For larger projects, such as a whole-home electrical rewiring or panel upgrade, the cost can range from $3,000 to $10,000 or more.
It's always recommended to get a quote from a licensed electrician before beginning any electrical work to ensure that you have a clear understanding of the costs associated with the project. Additionally, it's important to prioritize quality and safety over cost when it comes to electrical work, as improper installations or repairs can be dangerous and costly in the long run.